Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rainy days and Mondays . . .



Last week's DIY project was to stain my badly cracked cement patio. And while the weather forecast last Sunday looked like my 4 days off in a row last week (a little slice of heaven, FYI) would be ideal weather to get this done, by Tuesday rain clouds were appearing on the forecast for Thursday and Friday. And although Wednesday night was supposed to be rain free, big rain drops started falling as I was trying to sweep and vacuum off the cement in preparation.

Thought I'd share a few of the things I learned thoughout this process:
  • 1) If you are using a product with acid in the title (like my cement acid stain) do yourself a favor and cover up ALL exposed skin. Who cares if the sun is shining and you'd like to improve your tan while improving your yard?! Wear long pants and closed toed shoes. Acid+skin=burning pain
  • 2) Don't forget to actually use the protective paper and painter's tape you bought to cover up your white vinyl fence. Acid will not only eat away your skin but it will eat away your pristinely white fence. Your fence will forever and always look very very dirty along the bottom edge where you inadvertently sprayed your fabulous caramel and walnut stains. Acid+ANYTHING=burning pain — although in this case the pain is just the emotional turmoil you experience each and every time you stare at the evidence of your poor planning.
  • 3) Don't let your ex-boyfriend come over. Even though he seems to think you're now "friends" and ya'll can hang out without emotions coming into play, you know better. So listen to yourself and save your friends the pain of listening to you and your crazy thoughts of "did I make the right decision to end things?" and "maybe I should have pushed therapy more than I did. Maybe all our relationship needed was a really talented therapist." Don't play that game. Follow Nancy Reagan's advice and Just Say No. Acid+Bret+ReallyCrazyBlindDate=burning pain
You may now be curious about my Really Crazy Blind Date and what that means, exactly. Most of you know I've had a few of these RCBD's in my dating time so I'll give a brief rundown of this RCBD's stats — although keep in mind this guy is a VNB (very nice boy):
  • He is training to be in the circus. Not kidding. He wants to breathe fire and stuff. And he has a performance this Saturday where he will be dressed in a fat lady's outfit and be set on fire and cut in half or something.
  • He folds his dollar bills into origami snails and even pays for things with his "snails." I included a picture of the example he left with me. Can't make this crap up.
  • He goes blues and swing dancing every week and during our post dinner walk to blockbuster he spun me out and twirled me around in random spontaneous dance sequences. Even and including picking me up off the ground (he gets props for not herniating a disc or grunting with the effort), spinning around, and dipping me for added drama.
  • He was married before and blames his divorce on the issues he had (and still has) from his parents' divorce, his lack of effective communication with his wife, his anger issues, and his lack of a motivating force pushing him to be his best. That little conversation was the appetizer to dinner.
  • He's 32 and working in a job without benefits.
>sigh<

After hearing that description of my latest prospect is it any wonder I was debating giving my relationship with Bret another try? Both my parents commented on how changed Bret seemed to be on Friday when the met him again. Oh yes, Bret came over while my parents and LeeAnn were helping me seal my concrete and all were amazed that he talked and was charming (my dad had previously compared his personality to a dead tree stump in my yard). And LeeAnn got to listen to him describe how overwhelmed he was feeling lately and how he might lose his job again.

Anyway . . .

Will I go out with VNB again? Of course! I've got nothing else to do and he wasn't hideous. Just a bit crazy. And I can't afford to be too picky since my biological clock is ticking away. This interesting detail was pointed out to me yesterday by the 23 year old nursing student I worked with. Although he did save himself when he told me I did NOT look 32. Maybe 28 . . . And with my increasing age my standards for dating are getting lower.

Look forward to next week's posting about my DIY project for this week: stripping and restaining my wood deck! And hopefully planting a lilac bush. I know, truly THRILLING!

6 comments:

Carrie on July 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM said...

Luna, you seriously crack me up! You are so descriptive and I love reading about your life :) Sorry about VNB... he's a wee bit crazy. Your patio looks fabulous despite all the burning pain!

marcikay on July 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM said...

jill, i love your posts, you really tell your stories well!!

sorry about the burning pain (but i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who plans poorly then makes mistakes that i will notice every time i look at said project..)

and.. your date - awesome story!! ..and i suppose every one is a wee bit crazy (?) (but i'm glad he's a very nice boy)

and the ex?? (i haven't heard enough (only through your posts) so i'm not making any judgments.. :)

Katie on July 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM said...

Jill, I have taken to heart all of your words of wisdom in regards with working with products that have ACID in the name.

Also, I really like the blog-thingy. Very entertaining. And very attractive. I think you really do have the cutest blog on the block. :)

Katie on July 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM said...

Crap! Crap! Crap! I had to set up some sort of Google account to make a comment, and at this moment, I have no clue what I just did. Crap! Must find way to delete last name as I want to be a vague, elusive Katie, not known Katie.

Katie on July 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM said...

Jill, I did it. With Jon's help, of course. I am now just Katie.

Nicole on July 17, 2009 at 10:23 AM said...

Oh Jill, love your blog, LOL! VNB? I know there has to be someone a little more amazing, (maybe just not as interesting!)I have been hunting for him for you. Glad I can now keep up on your life, but now I'll have to get brave and come down to PICU to find you!

Post a Comment